domingo, 28 de octubre de 2012

La Gomera


As it is quite clear from the title, I visited the first island. I may have mentioned in the very first entry that one of my aims here (beside the surfing which could be considered as an achieved one) is to visit all of the Canary Islands. The closest one is La Gomera, which is a perfect place for hiking as it has some nice mountains and a beautiful flora and fauna. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to experience the forest, because I had another mission...

I was selected to hold a presentation about the European Voluntary Service (EVS), the programme I am participating in. Isla CreActiva (http://www.islacreactiva.com/) is my coordinating organization had a stand in the First Youth Fair for the young people of La Gomera. In this event we informed the local youth about the exchange and volunteering opportunities in Europe and I was the living example for EVS.

After my first presentation in Spanish (which was super scary by the way), we had a little bit of free time so we went for a walk in the capital: San Sebastián. The word "capital" may sound a little exaggerated in this case as the place has only one main street and the population is 9000 people.


This small city is famous of one historical moment, when Christopher Columbus had a short break here in his big journey. In the beautiful park of the centre I found the first so called ruin, a tower which made me feel like a tourist again. So I grabbed a map and visited some sights and believe it or not, even if it is a tiny place, I didn't have enough time to visit everything.




For me the most amazing part was the port with this fascinating background: the Teide. It is a hardly describable feeling when you can see an island from another one.



This trip was an unforgettable one even with the fact that after my presentation the only question (from a 15 years old) was: "Is it really true that there is snow in your country during winter?" :)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario